Pre- Notification Reminder; to the Mount Cook and Westland National Park, Aircraft Users Group and Recreational Hunters,
Aerial Operators and the Department of Conservation will be commencing aerial Wild Animal Control activities (targeting the culling of female/juvenile Tahr groups) during daylight hours at specific sites in the Wanganui, Poerua, Whataroa and WNP (Whymper / Callery Rivers and Waikukupa / Omoeroa, Copland, including southern catchments through to the Landsborough River) over the fine weather periods:
- 15th January 2017 - 31 March 2017. (A second notice will be sent mid-January 2017
The effected areas where these operations will take place during fine weather and may affect Concessionaires / hunters being delivered or seeking access to specific huts in;
- Wanganui River - Hunter Hut, Smyth Hut and (Culling areas are; Upper Wanganui River, Adams River – Lord / Lambert Rivers including Smyth and Lord Ranges).
- Whataroa River - Butler Junction Hut, Top Butler Hut and Whymper Hut (Culling areas are; King Peak - Barrowman Stream including Maximilian and Gunn Ranges).
· Perth River - Scone Hut and Nolan's Hut (Culling areas are; Pauline Stream - Scone River, Bettison River & Upper Perth Catchments - Great Unknown / true left Barlow River).
- Glacier flights around WNP - Callery, Waikukupa / Omoeroa and Waiho / Franz Josef Glacier catchments.
- Copland Valley - Welcome Flat Hut, Douglas Rock Hut, (Culling areas are; True left Copland, including the Karangarua and Sierra Ranges).
- Douglas Valley - Horace Walker Hut, Douglas Rock Biv, (Culling areas are; all alpine regions of Regina and lower Douglas Valleys ).
- Karangarua Valley - Cassel Flat Hut, Lame Duck Hut and Christmas Flat Hut - (Culling areas are; all alpine regions of Karangarua Valley).
With respect to notifications to the Mount Cook and Westland National Park, Aircraft Users Group they will be now notified at short notice and again by radio transmissions during these Operations.
For hunter safety during these operations we encourage your pilots to advise parties aerial culling is to be expected " Be visible / wear Blaze Orange ".
The Department of Conservation apologises for any inconvenience caused.